Winters are On and I have amazing varieties of snacks and soups to try on. Today is a special recipe. This one I got to learn from my mother-in-law. She was an excellent cook and recipes and their ratios were on her tips. Its an innovative approach with an easy cooking. Bread Besan Cheela doesnt require lot of ingredients. We just need Besan (Chickpea Flour) , onion, veggies of the season and bread.
It doesnt involve deep frying. We shall just cook it on tawa with desi ghee just like any cheela or dosa. We can make it as spicy as we wish with the use of green chillies. In winters, these light snacks are actually filling as besan is quite rich in proteins and keeps the filling feeling for quite a long time.
Hope you enjoy it!!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
|Prep Time||5 min|
|Cook Time||20 min|
- 4 loafs bread I have used Harvest Brown Bread
- 2 tablespoons Desi Ghee
- 250 gm Besan (Chickpea Flour)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 medium Onion chopped finely
- 1 small green chilli chopped finely
- 1 tsp red chilli
- 1 tsp garm masala
- 1 tsp Amchur powder Can use lemon juice
- Salt and Black Pepper as per taste
- a few twigs Dhaniya leaves chopped finely
- Take a big bowl. Add Besan and add water little by little and keep mixing with a spatula or a hand mixer or else lumps will be formed. it should not be very thick or thin . medium consistency so that bread can be dipped and coated properly with besan, Add all the mentioned masalas and green chillies. Add chopped onions. you can add more veggies like carrot etc.
- Dip Bread in it so that besan is coated on it properly.
- Reverse the bread and place it on hot tawa. Tawa should not be cold or else besan would stick to it,
- You can clean tawa with an raw onion or its skin and spread some ghee over it. If smoke comes out, put gas on simmer and place gently the bread dipped with besan. Add the chopped coriander leaves on top of it. let it cook on simmer for a min or two. add 2 tsp ghee.
- Flip it on other side and cook it for 2 min on simmer. You can add more ghee. If you are health conscious, then add less ghee and try covering it fully with a plate so that it gets cooked in steam.
- Flip Again and see now its cooked completely. the yellowish color of raw besan has been changed to light brown, I prefer it light brown.
- The bread Besan cheela is ready. You can serve it with green chutney. Enjoy It!!
People these days prefer using non-stick tawas but over years I have seen that the best cooking can be done on iron tawa. These bread besan cheelas were made using Iron tawa and had no hiccups in making them. just wipe them with slight water and onion in between and rest all falls in place. Using Iron tawa makes sure that its not uncooked else I feel their is a raw taste of besan. You are free to use your preferred utensils.
|Serving size: bread|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.4g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27.7g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g||15%|
|Total Sugars 4.5g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Leave a Reply