Fried food has a special place in our heart. It simply runs in “the family”. So everyone in my family loves fried food and snacks specially “Bread Roll”. When we talk about healthy food some believe that fried is not healthy, which is something I have’nt understood. I believe if taken in moderate quantities, its not unhealthy. I remember that when we were kids, I loved eating pooris, bread pakoras, onion pakora,.. Not that I don’t love them now , its just that with age we choose not to overdo. Again, Our body needs oil and ghee and specially the growing kids as their diet is just used up in their growth. Its not that we are grown ups so we simply dont eat oils but to eat it in right quantities and at right time. So, bread rolls are the most preferred breakfast item. As discussed earlier, I prefer using Mustard oils or desi ghee. So frying is generally done in Mustard Oil. It not only makes a crisp fried item but it tastes better. Also, I avoid using same oil for frying. Everytime I make a fried item, I use fresh oil and once all frying in different batches are done (depending upon the food item), I dont use that oil again.
The key to frying is that the oil should be hot enough else the frying item will seep in oil and will not be crisp. For new comers to kitchen, we need to burn mustard oil that is we add mustard oil to the Kadai (utensil for frying). Put the gas on high flame and let the oil burn for a while. Time to do burning depends on the quantity of oil. If for a vegetable, it takes around 1-2 min and for deep frying, it takes around 5 min. Initially, the oil is yellowish and its raw so we burn till it becomes transparent and during this process it leaves lot of smoke so put the exhaust On.
You can serve the bread roll with Green Chutney or Tomato ketchup.
Hope You enjoy it!!.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||20 min|
- 4 medium potatoes
- 10 loafs bread Brown bread by Harvest
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp garm masala
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Amchur powder or 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 bowl fresh water
- 0.4 litre mustard oil for deep frying
- 1 small Green Chiili chopped
- Boil 4 medium sized potatoes in a pressure cooker. Put on full flame for 2 whistles and then simmer on low flame for 5-10 min.
- Peel them off. and take them in a large bowl.
- Add all the spices and green chillies. You can add other spices like kasuri methi, dhaniya powder, chaat masala or fresh matar, dhaniya leaves
- Mash them and make sure all the spices are absorbed in the potato mash.
- Take a large wide bowl with water. Wide so that the bread slice is dipped in it completely.
- Dip the bread piece in bowl. take it out. place it on your left palm and gently squeeze the water by applying slight pressure with the right palm. make sure that it has some water retained in it as we have to bind it in next steps.
- Now place the filling of mashed potato on in gently. you can take around 1 tablespoon.
- Seal the bread from all sides and gently roll it make an oval shape.
- If at this step you feel its not binding, you can dab it with few drops of water and keep rolling. it will eventually be done. place them in a plate. While preparing this, you can place a kadai with mustard oil for frying. Burn the oil in the meantime.
- Once properly hot, place two at a time the bread rolls in kadai. Make sure that oil is hot or else they will break open. once you place in oil, it will sizzle, then you simmer. The best frying is done when you place the food item on high flame / hot oil, then simmer it for a while and when you take it out it should be again on high flame. This makes sure of a crisp frying and properly cooked item and also no oil is seeped through the fried food.
- Keep frying in batches and serve the bread rolls with Chutney of your choice. Hope you enjoy it!!
The best frying is done when you place the food item on high flame / hot oil, then simmer it for a while and when you take it out it should be again on high flame. This makes sure of a crisp frying and properly cooked item and also no oil is seeped through the fried food.
|Serving size: 1|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5.9g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 0.9g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23.7g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||9%|
|Total Sugars 1.9g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Brush with olive oil and bake it
Thats a good suggestion. Would surely try that. Thanks.