Sweet Potato is a large, starchy sweet root which is packed with fibre and nutrition. It can be boiled, baked, steamed or fried. Absolutely a filling food item, sweet potato helps weight loss as they are rich in fibre. They are a good source of Vit B, Vit C, Iron and anti-oxidants like beta-carotene and help reduce body inflammation. The best thing being it has natural sugar so those who have a sweet tooth and yet wish to lose weight can use it as a snack item.
I remember when we used to wait to go to local markets where at the corners a vendor used to bake Shakarkandi using coals and serve it with chatpata Masala and Nimbu (Lemon). Those were the days… Isn’t the childhood a huge bundle of joy and tiny mistakes that we laugh at now? The best part is to live that childhood again with your own child and learn in that process that how much your parents loved you and what all they sacrificed for bringing a smile to your face. This post is dedicated to those parents who made it a point to take their children to local markets specially for the chatpata street food and walking through those streets buying cheap but popular stuff along…
Coming back from the memory lane to the soup, the recipe is quick and simple. I have used fresh sweet potato, amla, beetroot and carrots. Both are sweet in taste and the perfect choice for the kids. I have avoided the use of Garlic, onions as it affects the natural flavour of this soup. Anybody prefers using these, feel free to add a Tadka of Onion Garlic to the ready soup.
Waiting for you to share your experience with me. Happy Cooking!!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
|Prep Time||5 min|
|Cook Time||15 min|
- 2 large Raw Sweet Potatoes (Shakarkandi)
- 1 medium `Carrot
- 1 medium Bayleaf
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tsp Ghee Optional
- 1/4 piece Amla (Indian gooseberry)
- 1/10 piece Beetroot
- Salt and Black Pepper as per taste
- Peel off the Sweet Potato, beetroot and carrot. Wash them along with amla properly under running water and chop in large chunks.
- Add these chopped veggies to a pressure cooker with water as much as to dip 1 inches under water. Add bayleaf. I have skipped adding ghee. If you want you can first add ghee and saute bayleaf in it for 4 seconds, then add veggies and water. Give one whistle on full flame and simmer for 5 min.
- When pressure cools off, open the cooker. By now, its very well cooked.
- Remove Bayleaf. You can blend it using hand blender or mixer grinder.
- You can sieve it in a pan. Since sweet potato is thick in nature, the paste would be very thick and it would take an extra effort to sieve it.
- You can add more water as per the consistency you desire. Add Salt and Black Pepper as per taste.
- The Sweet Potato Soup is ready. Serve it with your choice of breads. Enjoy!!
I have added beetroot and amla for adding more nutrition to the soup. For a tangy flavour, one can add lemon juice and Chat masala too. I would suggest to add Ghee if you are making this soup for kids or for recovering health. Little bit of ghee is always a good idea even for those aiming at weight loss.
|Serving size: bowl|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.1g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19.9g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 1.1g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Leave a Reply